10 tips for staying fit while traveling
The good news about travel is that it breaks us out of usual patterns and makes our lives less repetitive. The bad news about travel is that it breaks us out of the routines we don’t want interrupted: diet and exercise.
It doesn’t have to be that way. A well-planned trip can easily include good nutrition at least a moderate degree of exercise that keeps us fit while on the road, which is especially important for business travelers with aggressive schedules. Here are 10 tips for staying fit while traveling.
1. Always start the day with a big breakfast. It will fuel your energy for the rest of the day, and it’s helpful that many hotels include breakfast in your room rate, including The Rose Hotel. (In addition to offering fresh fruit for breakfast — among other breakfast items — complimentary fresh fruit is available to Rose Hotel guests all day, every day.)
2. Have at least one yogurt per day. It is good for the digestive system and helps prevent bloating and diarrhea.
3. Drink plenty of water. Dehydration is bad for your health. Water keeps skin, muscles and joints supple, and has many other health benefits.
4. Take the stairs rather than the elevator. Exercise doesn’t have to be rigorous. A body in motion tends to stay in motion, and healthy.
5. Learn to like tea. It is loaded with healthful antioxidants.
6. Buy whole foods rather than eating all meals at restaurants. This will give you an opportunity to eat healthier and simpler, rather than refined, high-sodium meals.
7. Walk instead of ride. Walking is one of the best exercises available, and it doesn’t take any special equipment.
8. Flex while walking. Consciously flexing the abs, glutes, legs and other body part while walking helps boost overall muscle tone and burns extra calories.
9. Get at least eight hours of sleep. Nothing makes us feel more fit than a full night of sleep — and it increases the effectiveness of all our other activities.
10. Do an exercise routine in your hotel room while watching TV. The 7 Minute Workout can be done without equipment, except a chair, which can be found in any hotel room. Don’t let the short duration fool you. Done properly, this workout will make you very fit. Already fancy yourself fit? Try doing the 7 Minute Workout two or three consecutive times. Click here to see the 7 Minute Workout slideshow on WebMD.
Many of you probably have tips of your own for healthy travel. We would like to hear them. Click here to write to us.